At ARCHES, we run British Sign Language Courses in levels 1-4.
Non Exam Class
This is a 10 week non-examination class ideal for beginners who want to learn basic elementary sign language or the BSL Level 1 Sign Language Course.
Sign Language for Beginners
20 hours (10 Weeks)
Each September, we run levels 1 to 4 in British Sign Language. Level 1 and 2 BSL courses have been in high demand in Arches for a number of years and we are thrilled we are now able to offer students level 3 and 4. Below are the details for each course: -Level 1
Level 1 is the beginners course. It will run for 30 weeks over one academic year, which will give approximately 64 hours of guided learning.
The course is split into three units.
Each unit is approximately 10 weeks long.
At the end of the full course, learners will be able to:
- Ø Understand and use a limited range of simple words and sentences in BSL
- Ø Take part in simple, everyday conversations in BSL
- Ø Give and follow simple directions or instructions in BSL
- Ø Give and follow simple familiar statements or descriptions in BSL
The course can be taken in three ways:
- You can choose to attend the first 10 weeks which will give you a very basic knowledge of BSL
- You can attend the full course and sit the exams to give you a qualification at level 1,
- You can attend the full course but not sit the exams, you will be given a certificate of attendance but you will not receive an accredited qualification.
This qualification is designed to enable learners to develop their skills to communicate with Deaf people using British Sign Language (BSL) in a range of everyday situations. The qualification will allow learners to participate in longer and more varied conversations than at Level 1. The course will develop communication in BSL about real life, routine, and daily experiences. The learner will be able to deal with most routine communication and have enough understanding of grammar to cope with some non-routine communication.
The qualification is divided into three units.
Level 2 will run over one and a half academic years, which will give approximately 100 hours of guided learning.
Level 3 will run for 30 weeks over one academic year, which will give approximately 64 hours of guided learning.
Level 4 will run for 30 weeks over one academic year, which will give approximately 64 hours of guided learning.
Contact ARCHES office for more information and for registration on 028 9447 8471 or email@example.com