HERITAGE TALES 3
Mill Walk was the main route leading to the Old Bleach factory. A row of ten houses was built alongside it in 1901 to provide accommodation for workers. The River Maine and the mill race ran very close to the backs of the houses and each family had its garden on the other side of the Walk.
By 1949 several of the tenants had already moved to new Council housing in the area. Repairs and renovations were planned by Antrim Rural District Council but a deepening crisis in the economy led to their cancellation and all the houses were vacant by the early 1970s. For a time thereafter, some of the houses were used as a factory shop, stocking Old Bleach products. The houses were demolished in 1995 to make way for the new housing development which now stands on the site.